Welcome to yet another update on my Prototype UMG Menu system for Unreal Engine 4. As always, it's free to use for both non-commercial and commercial purposes. No attributes required. You can find the source code at:
The official thread in the Unreal Engine forums:
Anyways, if you're using it for the first time, you can go ahead and grab the source right away. But please do let me know if you encounter any bugs in v4.7.6 or higher. The rest of this post details the changes made in the latest updates. So it's more useful for people who have been using an earlier version of this menu system in their projects already. So now that's out of the way, we'll first get to the changes made as part of the Update 4.
1) Persistent graphics settings across multiple instances: First of all, as promised, this update brings persistent graphics settings into the mix. That means that your graphics settings once changed will be saved and retrieved in future instances of the game. You do not need to keep on changing it every time.
2) Scrollbar Bug fix: I came across a bug that prevented scrollbars from closing down when the user is moving on to other menus. Well, that has been fixed and you will not leave any scrollbars hanging after this.
Listed below are screenshots depicting the changes made to various blueprints:
- A new blueprint 'BP_SaveSettings' derived from the SaveGame class. After creating the blueprint, just initialize the variables shown in the class along with their corresponding values. Make sure that you give the 'SaveSlotName' variable a name to recognize the save game slot as shown.
- 'Event Init' logic in the Game Instance blueprint. Copy the entire connected logic to your project. This makes sure that the game retrieves saved settings, every time you launch the game. If there are no saved files, it will go for the default values stored in the variables as before.
- Add a new function 'SaveSettings' within the Game Instance blueprint. This function takes care of saving the current video settings.
- And here comes the final part of the logic for the save system. Just call the above function from the video settings widget when the user goes back to the options menu.
- This next piece of logic takes care of the scrollbar bug mentioned earlier in the post. Just call the 'Collapse Scrollbox' function when returning to the options menu from the video settings menu. Same blueprint network mentioned in the previous screenshot.
With that, we're at the end of changes made in Update 4. I've released a very minor 4.1 Update to fix an issue that arises when you try adding this project into other projects.
- Create a new Game Mode blueprint named 'MainMenuGameMode'. Set this as the default game mode for the Main Menu map. Now under this game mode settings, set the HUD to 'BP_MyHUD'. Make the same changes in Project Settings >> Maps and Modes as well. That's all.
Alright, so that's it. It's currently built in v4.7.6 of Unreal Engine. I have done a couple of tests in v4.8.2 and it seems to be working, but I can't confirm yet until I do more tests. So if anyone comes across any bugs, do let me know. I thought that we'll put official version numbers from now on. So this one is officially v1.41 of the Prototype UMG Menu System and we have come to the end of this post. Have a great week.