Skip to main content

Unreal Engine 4 Dev Update #2: Basic Projectile System for Top Down Template

Alright, time for another update. In my previous post, I briefly discussed the system that went into adding a basic Zoom functionality to the Top Down Template in Unreal Engine 4. You can find it here: Unreal Engine 4 Dev Update #1: Zoom Functionality for Top Down Template. Moving onto the matter at hand, I've also added a Blueprint-based basic Projectile system to the template. Again a fairly simple task for beginners. 

First of all, I made a new projectile Blueprint from the 'New Blueprint' menu. Then I added a static mesh component inside it. I added collision for the mesh from the static mesh menu, but that's not necessary. So basically we have the projectile ready by now.


After that, I created a 'Fire Projectile' function inside my player character blueprint. I call this function when player presses the button for firing projectiles. Here's a screenshot of the function.


This function spawns the projectile in front of the player. Since the projectile already has a velocity assigned in the projectile Blueprint, it'll move in the assigned direction right after spawning. First I get the actor location to determine the spawn point. But if I just spawn it using the actor location, it spawns in the player's location itself. Since we usually want to spawn the projectile a bit ahead of the player, I get the actor's rotation first and then get a forward vector from it. Since it was a very small value, I multiplied it by 30 to get a value that's relative to the player character's size. I then add it to the player location and we have a spawn point location ahead of the player. Meanwhile I pass this location and actor rotation value to a Transform node so that I can send it as input into the Spawn Actor node. For the actor class, I chose the projectile Blueprint that I had created earlier. And with that we have created a function for firing a projectile. Once that's done, it's just a matter of calling this function on receiving the fire input from the player. 


And there you have it: A basic Projectile System in UE4. You can see this in action in the following video:


If you're interested in seeing more of my work in Unreal Engine 4, you can check out my Youtube channel as I usually upload the videos there before posting updates here:


Alright that's it for now. Next update on implementing Smooth Zoom functionality coming soon. :)

Popular posts from this blog

Unreal Engine Tutorial: Create Circular Ring Material without Textures

Hi, welcome back for another tutorial. It's been quite a while since I put up a tutorial as I've been busy working on toolkits for the Marketplace. One of my earlier tutorials [link: Unit Selection Decals for RTS Games] had focused on how to create ring materials using textures, as well as using them to display unit selection decals for RTS games. However, a drawback associated with using textures was that it prevented the user from changing the inner & outer radius of the ring. And during prototyping stages of a product, it's far better to implement structures that can be changed easily from within the engine so that you don't have to create a new asset from an external package every time you need to test out a new idea. I've found this approach quite useful while working on my own products. Hence, this tutorial focuses on creating a ring material that can be adjusted both from within the material editor as well as dynamically at runtime.

Alright before we get …

Unreal Engine Diaries #11: Nav Mesh Configuration

[This episode of Unreal Engine Diaries focuses primarily on nav mesh configuration, nav areas & configuration of agent types.

Source: Unreal Engine 4 AI Support Twitch Broadcast with Mieszko: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LaazCv4rB0]

1. The Recast NavMesh has a couple of attributes named 'CellSize' & 'CellHeight' under the 'Generation' section in it's details panel. Together they determine the resolution of the nav mesh & lowering these values can create more precise nav meshes. It could be especially useful when there are lot of holes in the nav mesh due to the surface properties of the terrain. However, lowering them also makes the nav mesh calculations more expensive.

2. If runtime nav mesh generation is enabled, it would be best to set the 'Tile Size' attribute of Recast NavMesh to the minimum viable amount.
3. The 'Min Region Area' parameter which can also be found under 'Generation' section of Recast NavMesh can be i…

Unreal Engine 4 Tutorial: Smooth Zoom using Mouse Wheel for Top Down Template

Well, I had already written a tutorial for implementing Smooth Zoom functionality for Top Down Template. But it was based on keyboard inputs. Since most Top Down PC games use mouse wheel for zoom, I decided to make a tutorial for the same. The core logic here is the same as the one implemented by Ryan Jon for the custom camera in his RTS Community Project. If anyone's interested, they can get the code for the RTS Community Project here:

UE4 RTS Community Project

Anyways, he has replaced the default camera for the characters with a general camera since that's more ideal for developing an RTS game. Since a basic Top Down game with a single playable character does not need a separate custom camera, I decided to implement the same functionality for the default player camera in UE4's Top Down Template. So let's get down to it.

First of all we need to make a custom curve from the content browser. We will be using this curve to define the smooth camera movement while zooming …